The Sponsor Iraqi Children Foundation applauds the many runners, dignitaries, families, and others who came to Burke Lake Park on a beautiful Saturday morning May 4, 2013, to participate in a 5K fun run/walk to raise support for Iraqi orphans and street children. “It was great to see the outpouring of love and compassion for …
Iraq is experiencing an urgent orphan crisis. A December 2012 report from UNICEF estimates the number of orphans in Iraq today at 800,000. Street children are estimated in the thousands. These children are dangerously vulnerable to recruitment and exploitation by criminals or terrorists, as well as physical abuse, human trafficking, and other risks. The plight of this large a number of children poses a serious humanitarian crisis as well as a threat to the future security and stability of Iraq. The need is desperate and urgent.
- Serving as a catalyst to mobilize US and international partners
- Investing in training and capacity building of Iraq’s non-governmental and community organizations
- Emphasizing direct assistance for hand up, not hand out, projects
Keep up to date with SICF’s progress by signing up for our mailing list. Your personal information will never be shared or sold, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Your contributions make it possible to:
- Provide food and clothing;
- Empower community leaders;
- Tend to trauma